‘UAE Design Stories: The Next Generation from The Emirates’, an exhibition highlighting some of the brightest Emirati talents will appear at this year’s Salone Del Mobile International Design Fair, the world’s largest design fair. Supported by the UAE Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development, the exhibition, to be held in Milan, Italy from 17–22 April, 2018, is curated by renowned Emirati product designer Khalid Shafar, an accomplished product designer whose works have been widely exhibited in leading exhibitions and galleries across the region and the world. Ten local designers, selected by him, will showcase their current design pieces, artworks and projects at the exhibition.
Date: 17 – 22 April
Opening Times: Daily from 11am – 9pm
Opening Reception: Wednesday 18th April, 6pm – 9pm
Building on the success of the Middle East Design Now exhibition in 2017 and the Middle East Revealed exhibition held in collaboration with Wallpaper* in 2015 in Milan and London, d3’s Milan event will be the first in a series of UAE Design Stories exhibitions. The event will focus on ‘Emirati Landscape: Flora, Fauna and Soil.’ The journey will then move to the London Design Festival in September for the second exhibition entitled ‘Nomadism: Yesterday & Now’ where the same ten designers will display uniquely commissioned pieces.
The designers and their commissioned design pieces will return to their home town for the finale of the series of exhibitions that be held as part of Dubai Design Week from 13 – 19 November.
The participating Emirati Designers:
- Alia Mazrooei, an interior designer, will present ‘Stingray’, a piece of furniture inspired by the body and movement of stingrays.
- Aljoud Lootah, a multi-disciplinary designer, will display the ‘AlAreesh Stool’, a piece of furniture constructed from dried plain fronds of palm leaves.
- Roudha Alshamsi, an interior designer, will showcase two pieces; Acacia 11 and Acacia 111 designed through the study of local Emirati wildlife and landscape.
- Zeinab Alhashemi, a conceptual artist and designer, will display ’San’am Rug’, a modular rug made from double-sided authentic camel leather.
- Latifa Saeed, an artist and designer, will present ‘Kinestic Khoos – Fly’, created by using traditional materials and techniques.
- Azza Al Qubaisi, a sculpture and product designer, will showcase the ‘Yareeda Bench’ using kurab (wide palm trees).
- Alia bin Omair, a jewellery designer, will present her ‘Leaf’ collection inspired by palm tree fibre.
- Salem Al-Mansoori, an interdisciplinary designer, will present 3D printed sculptures developed using an algorithmic, generative code-based process.
- Abdalla AlMulla, an architect, will display two pieces; Instrinsic Flux, a wall installation and OctWov Cluster, a well-designed table.
- Ahmad AlAreef, a Bedouin Emirati artist, who always seeks to explore and experiment, will display a projection focused on the formation of sand dunes.
- Bader Najeeb, a self taught home cook, will fuse design and food to create a truly unique culinary experience.